Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rough Couple of Days

When I became a mom of two, I knew it wasn't going to be easy.  I mean, the moment I found out I was pregnant with Cat was one of the single scariest moments of my life.  I had just figured out what to do with the first one--what was I going to do with TWO?

But somehow, I have muddled through.  Before I knew it, we started having more up than down days, and the boys and I settled into something of a routine. I am even starting to feel like myself again.

But then yesterday, I had one of those days that led Jon to come home and find me curled up in the fetal position on the couch.

My children have decided that it's unacceptable to sleep past six in the morning these days.  Totally not a fan.  But, it is what it is, and on the plus side, it usually means that they go down easy for naps and they go to bed early, which I fully support.  So yesterday morning, around 10:30, they both were exhibiting signs of tiredness, and I was pretty beat myself, so I announced, "Alright, boys!  Bug, Mommy, and Cat are all going to take a nap together."

Ah, yet another example of my self-delusion.

So, I changed diapers, and then I got Bug situated on my bed, which seemed to be working well.  He arranged the pillows and snuggled up, his eyes starting to droop.  I started to give Cat his bottle, and his red little eyes started to close...

...until suddenly he opened his eyes wide and began to scream.

Oh, did he scream.  Bloody murder, he screamed.  For half an hour.

To his credit, Bug sort of just laid there, staring at the inconsolable ball of hysteria, right up until the moment I got Cat to take his paci and start to drift off.  That was when Bug decided he had had enough of everything, as he sat straight up and boldly proclaimed, "NO NAP!  NO NIGHT NIGHTS!"  And just to make sure I fully understood how serious he was, he said this over.  And over.  And over again, as loudly as he possibly could.  Which caused Cat to wake up and begin screaming again.  For another half an hour.

Once I finally got Cat asleep in his bassinet, I marched Bug into his room and let him play in there while I dozed in his bed.  So yes, Bug.  There was no nap.  No night nights.

But hey, today was a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment